2018 ResolutionsJanuary 12, 2018
In 2017, I had decent success meeting my resolution goals. I did, however, pick too many that were too varied and would often forget about them. As a result, this year I’m going to simplify a bit and categorize the goals:
- Professional Development
- Update Type. Right now, there’s a bug that’s causing a crash on iOS, so I want to fix that and update everything for Twitter’s 280 character change.
- Create a simple app with Flutter. I’ve been seeing a fair amount about Flutter the last few months and it seems very intriguing.
- Write a blog post each quarter for the Rocket blog.
- Personal Development
- Continue reading a book a month with a stretch goal of 15 books this year. I hit 13 last year, so hopefully I can push that up.
- Missy and I decided to do a monthly art club. Basically, we’ll take a night a month and just draw, or paint, etc. I might push this a little more and see if I can spend some additional time here.
- Ride my bike to work every day it’s reasonable to do so. Basically, once it stops being freezing and if it’s not raining, then I’ll ride my bike to work.
- Do the Crossfit workout of the day. Crossfit may get a bad wrap, but I like the tempo of it and will avoid the cult part by doing the workouts at home.
- Run three times a week. When I did my 30 minutes of cardio per day, that would mean that I would run 3-4 miles when I went for a run. Afterwards, my calves were cramped and sore and kept me from running for the next few days. That meant I never got into a real rhythm with running. By not forcing myself to do at least 30 minutes, I’ll be able to more regularly go for runs. Like biking, I’m going to give myself a break on this one while it’s so frigidly cold.
Last year, my goals pushed me to do a variety of things, but I lost track of some of them. I was also far more successful with the goals that required continuous progress. Hopefully this year will be similar.